In today’s highly competitive housing market, homeowners are always on the lookout for simple ways in which to increase the value of their property. One trend that has seen popularity in recent years, specifically during Covid-19, is the addition of garden rooms. But are these just a fad? do these structures really add value? Let’s take a closer look!
What Is a Garden Room?
Garden rooms, sometimes known as outbuildings or annexes, are standalone structures built within the confines of your garden. They are versatile spaces, often used as home offices, guest rooms, art studios, or relaxation zones.
The Immediate Impact on Property Value
- Increased Square Footage: One of the most apparent advantages of a garden room is the addition of usable square footage. Every additional square foot can increase a property’s value making it a worthy investment.
- Versatility: The adaptability of garden rooms makes them attractive to potential buyers. Properties with additional versatile spaces make homes more appealing to those who require dedicated space to perform hobbies, work from home or want to have a home gym or theatre.
- Energy Efficiency: Many modern garden rooms are built with energy efficiency in mind. Properties with energy-saving features can see a value increase of up to 19.6% in some regions.
The Intangible Benefits
Perception Drives Value
- Desirable Lifestyle: The idea of having a secluded space, separated from the main house, is appealing to many. It offers a sense of privacy and flexibility that can be attractive and add perceived value for prospective buyers.
- Connection with Nature: The wellness trend is on the rise, and properties that offer a seamless connection between indoor and outdoor spaces are in demand. Garden rooms, by design, offer this connection, adding an intangible yet significant value to the property.
- Maintenance and Upkeep: Properly maintained garden rooms can continue to add value over the years. However, a neglected one can become a liability. Regular maintenance, ensuring energy efficiency, and keeping it versatile for various uses will ensure its value addition remains consistent.
Garden rooms are more than just a trend; they are a valuable addition to properties, offering a myriad of benefits. Whether you’re considering adding one to your property or evaluating a potential purchase, it’s clear that garden rooms can offer a solid return on investment.